Work Experience (WEX) is a compulsory part of the St Patrick’s Technical College Work Ready Skills program. It provides the opportunity for students to:
- explore and experience an area of interest or their trade choice
- learn, grow and develop skills for the workplace
- gain valuable feedback from an employer about their general employability skills such as attitude, work ethic, initiative, WHS, punctuality, problem solving abilities, communication and teamwork skills.
A significant number of students are offered Apprenticeships or Traineeships by employers following a successful WEX session.
WORK EXPERIENCE (WEX) BLOCKS 2023
As per the table below, Year 10 & Year 11 students have seven compulsory WEX blocks scheduled during term time, and Year 12 students have six compulsory WEX blocks scheduled during term time.
|Block #1||Year 10-12||Mon 6 March||Fri 10 March||Form Due 22 Feb|
|Block #2||Year 10-12||Tues 11 April||Fri 14 April||Form Due 29 March|
|Block #3||Year 10-12||Mon 29 May||Fri 2 June||Form Due 17 May|
|Block #4||Year 10-12||Mon 3 July||Fri 7 July||Form Due 21 June|
|Block #5||Year 10-12||Mon 21 Aug||Fri 25 Aug||Form Due 9 Aug|
|Block #6||Year 10-12||Mon 25 Sept||Fri 29 Sept||Form Due 13 Sept|
|Block #7||Year 10-11||Mon 20 Nov||Fri 24 Nov||Form Due 8 Nov|
|or||Year 10-11||Mon 27 Nov||Fri 1 Dec||Form Due 15 Nov|
All Year 11 & Year 12 students undertaking VET trade courses with an RTO are expected to attend their usual trade training day during WEX blocks. Hence, WEX blocks will only be 4-days per week for Year 11 & Year 12 VET trade course students. For RTOs to finish VET courses in one year, some trade areas will also require Year 11 & Year 12 VET trade course students to undertake week-long VET trade course blocks during the year. These week-long blocks will be scheduled during WEX blocks or school holiday periods.
If having trouble securing WEX in these scheduled blocks, students are expected to use their school holiday breaks as alternative or extra WEX opportunities. Students experiencing difficulty identifying a suitable employer for WEX should contact their PC Mentor, in the first instance, or the Vocational Pathways Mentor.
Advanced planning for WEX is strongly recommended. This planning could include:
- being proactive in approaching employers for WEX opportunities and then follow-up phone calls, emails, etc.
- ensuring the St Patrick’s Technical College Workplace Learning Agreement is fully completed, including all relevant signatures (employer, parent or caregiver, and student). This document is available for download below.
Students are encouraged to seek WEX with employers who are known to support School-based Apprenticeships and Traineeships and/or are in need of apprentices or trainees.
Students should always be on the lookout for apprenticeship or traineeship opportunities in their area of interest by checking advertisements posted on SEQTA or sent to their College email.
WORK EXPERIENCE DOWNLOADS
WORK EXPERIENCE GUIDES